Friday, June 26, 2015

Pronouns

What are pronouns?

Ronald is brilliant. He can solve difficult problems. The word 'he' refers to Ronald. Therefore, it replaces the noun 'Ronald'. Hence, it is called a pronoun.

We need a pronoun to avoid using a noun repeatedly in the following sentences. It can be very awkward and boring to say the same word again and again. So, we use a pronoun, instead.

Check the following list of common pronouns.


Nouns
Pronouns

Subject
Object

I
I like him.
Me
He likes me.

You
You like him.
You
He likes you.
Tony and Mila
Tony and Mila like Dian.
They
They like Dian.
Them
Dian likes them.
Julia and I
Julia and I like Dian.
We
We like Dian.
Us
Dian Likes us.
Peter/my father/their uncle
Peter likes Dian.
He
He likes Dian.
Him
Dian likes him.
Maria/my sister/our grandpa
Maria likes Dian.
She
She likes Dian.
Her
Dian likes her.
The book/the problem/the cat
The cat likes Dian.
It
It likes Dian.
It
Dian likes it.



Pronouns
Possessive Adjective
Possessive Pronouns
My
He is my friend.
Mine
He is a friend of mine.
Your
He is your friend.
Yours
He is a friend of yours.
Their
Dian is their friend.
Theirs
Dian is a friend of theirs.
Our
Dian is our friend.
Ours
Dian is a friend of ours.
His
Dian is his friend.
His
Dian is a friend of his.
Her
Dian is her friend.
Hers
Dian is a friend of hers.
Its
Dian is its friend.
Its
Dian is a friend of its.


Have you got questions, please feel free to write in the comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your constructive & inspiring comments.